24 Oct 2010 1 Comment
The Pagan Feast of Samhain is celebrated on October 31st. It marks the end of the light summer months and the commencement of the dark winter. It is one of the “spirit – nights” that witches (members of the Wiccan religion) celebrate each year.
This Sabbat represents the magical interval when the veil between the material world and the spirit world is lifted. It is charged with metaphysical energy and the communication between both worlds becomes easier. Therefore, October 31st is used by various spiritual traditions to briefly suspend the constricting laws of time and space and allow for spiritual interaction.
For those of you out there inclined to establish communication with ancestors and departed loved ones this is a great time to do it. It is also a good time to study the Dark Mysteries and perform spiritual rituals.
The ritual below is designed to help you open the communication between both worlds. It is based on the Wiccan tradition of honoring the Black Goddess and invoking her presence and guidance:
- 1 black novena candle
- 5 black household candles – Place each household candle in a small plate and make sure that they are secure by pouring some melted wax into the plate and then anchoring the candle in it. Make sure they won’t fall of so you can void a fire. – Don’t light the candle until you are inside the circle.
- Small round white altar cloth
- A white plate holding 1 apple, five candies
- A small cauldron
- Mint Incense – you will need charcoal to burn it
- Pictures, letters or any mementos you may have of loved ones that have passed
- Play soft spiritual music to set the atmosphere
- A knife dedicated only to altar use
- Sweep and mop the area where you will perform your ritual
- Place your white altar cloth on the clean floor.
- Place your black novena candle and the plate with the pumpkin, apple and candy on the right hand side of the cloth.
- Light the charcoal and place it inside the small cauldron – watch our video on how to burn incense if you need to. Place the burning charcoal on the left side.
- While your charcoal is getting ready start pouring the salt in a circle around yourself and the altar you have prepared – LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM SO THAT YOU MAY SIT INSIDE THE CIRCLE.
- Light the 5 household candles that you have prepared and place them in the edge of the circle you’ve made with the salt in a pentagon fashion.
- Place the photographs or mementos of your loved ones next to the black candle.
- Sit in the middle of the circle and light the black novena candle.
As you light the black novena candle take 3 deep breaths, relax and ground yourself. When you feel you are ready open your eyes and say the following incantation.:
“Dark Mother, ruler of the night, Goddess of death and rebirth, hear and behold your child this night as I honor you. I stand humbly before you asking for your blessings and favor. Lift now the veil between my world and yours so that I may commune with my ancestors and loved ones as they journey the earth on this Holy day.”
Look at the candle flame for it will let you know when you are ready to proceed. If the flame rises and flickers continue if not close your eyes and repeat the above incantation.
Once your flame starts to flicker you are ready to proceed. Pick up your apple and say the following incantation:
“Tonight as the barrier between the two realms grows thin, Spirits walk amongst us. They may be family, friends, foes, pets, or wildlife. Some to trick some to treat some to misguide our feet. We will stay on the path we know and plant sacred apples as we go.”
Take the apple and cut it half crosswise so that you can see the pentagram at its cors. Take a bite and set it back on the plate. (This apple will be buried after you are done with the ritual). Wave your hands in a circle over the plate with the pumpkin, apple and candies saying:
“This feast I shall leave on my doorstep all night, while in my window a candle burns bright. To help my loved ones find their way and welcome the good into my life. May all the bad be cast aside with the Divine Mother in my life. With your divine guidance and protection may I have good health, prosperity, balance and happiness.”
Snuff the household candles – don’t blow them. Stare into the flame of the novena candle and concentrate on your life goals and desires. Say the following invocation.
“Every beginning has an ending and every ending is a new beginning. In Life is death and in death is life. Watch over me, my loved ones and all of my brothers and sisters here and departed, who tonight are joined together again for fellowship and celebration. Bless us all as we light our bonfires, our hearth fires and the eternal fires in our hearts. Guide us and protect us, tonight and through out the coming year, Blessed Be! Blessed Be!”
With those words stretch your arms and embrace your dearly departed, ancestors and every living organism in the earth. You are now ready for meditation or spell working for protection, or self improvement. When you are done leave your black candle burning somewhere safe. Make sure it is out of reach of children, pets or anything that may disturb the flame and cause a fire. Use extra caution!
Clean up and bury the apple and the candies.
****The above ritual and invocations were adapted by Divinafe.com from various traditions including the Wiccan Religion. The invocations were adapted from Wiccan sources. *****